Thursday, June 5, 2008

Meritocracy at Work

How does one measure merit? How has educational testing and the idea of meritocracy shaped society in the twentieth century?

If you take a look at the ideology of the American Dream, America is the land of limitless opportunity in which individuals can go as far as their own merit takes them. According to this ideology, you get out of the system what you put into it. Getting ahead is ostensibly based on individual merit, which is generally viewed as a combination of factors including innate abilities, working hard, having the right attitude, and having high moral character and integrity. How much of this is present in the Malaysian work place? Is it present in yours? In a meritocracy, each individual reaps the level of benefits s/he deserves based on her work or her talent, i.e. based on merit. Some have grown accustomed to letting their companies tell them what their individual merits are. Perhaps it’s time to take a look at yourself and decide what is meritorious to you and you can use these and add value to what you do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we only practice meritocracy with integrity in Malaysia, we will not be dealing with the ridiculous attitude of individuals that couldn's careless.

Anonymous said...

I remember my first job and how hard I worked at it trying to make a difference. Year after year, I was given a measly increment, and pretentious pat on the back and sent on my way. The last year I was with that company, I was asked to go on a fishing trip with my big boss. Fishing trip - sure...I declined of course - and that year, i was supposed to have been promoted right to the top of the category and if it had happened, I would have been the youngest person to have received the promotion. I didn't get it of course. I lost the promotion, but kept my integrity. That's how some people get promoted and it's sad to see that the really deserving ones are given the finger time after time.

Ken67 said...

Meritocracy needs to be propagated from the highest levels of organizations in order for it to succeed. Internalization of the meritocracy concept will be minimal if not imbued to COMPANY CULTURE. Now, that's another story...

Anonymous said...

Mindset -> Attitude -> Result
A good practise for an employee is always think of what we can do and contribute to the company first, don't let rewards limit ourselve in performing.Your merit will be seen and recognize one day.

Anonymous said...

100% agree with you ernie!

Anonymous said...

Meritocracy in Malaysia is absolutely not acceptable. It makes me sick to my stomach. It is still very much who you know and where you came from.