Friday, August 22, 2008

4.5 Years Down the Road

It is a Friday 22th August 2008, 7.00pm. I am in ATCEN Learning Centre attending an English Writing Class. Yes, an English Writing Class conducted by Aneesa. Do I need it …YES, because she writes for a living and I am learning. Learning how to get important written message across effectively. So Aneesa thank you.

Sitting at the back of the room, with my laptop, I am looking and listening to Aneesa conducting the session. Next thing I know I am compelled by a sense of accomplishment. All this learning about writing for effectiveness and seeing that every single ATCENian is still in the office learning; made me remember something.

To recollect my thoughts, I logged onto ATCEN website (
www.atcen.com) and clicked onto “OUR STORY”. The page on The Journey popped up and I read it. Next I clicked onto the Chapter 1 button and what I was recollecting popped right up at the top of the page

“ATCEN was not built solely for the motive of profits. Why? We believe there's more to life than money. ATCEN aspires to revolutionize the Malaysian business approach; to be a model company, an innovative company. A company where the principles and values of the organization are not mere talismans on display but in every breath we exhale. We care for the development of our people, to build characters and the entrepreneurs of the future.”


I wrote the above paragraph, part of the ATCEN Story, on 29th March 2004 when ATCEN was barely 4 months. It was written from the heart as ATCEN was still young and it was then a fantastic opportunity to start something new, something great, something to be proud of. And the founders at that time want it to happen.

Coming back to ATCEN Learning Center, I am just struck by what I wrote 4 ½ years ago and what we have achieved today.

In the room with me are 24 individuals consisting of 8 Malays, 10 Chinese, 3 Indians, 1 Iban and 2 of mixed parentage. We had ladies in tudung, mini skirt, jeans, office wear, fresh graduates, also the not so young, English educated, Malay educated and Chinese educated. They had only two things in common, we were all Malaysians and also ATCENians. Tell me of another company that is so rojak and diverse.

This is a company that is not relationship based, race based, chain based or any other based, even sexuality preference based. We are only PERFORMANCE BASED.

We are definitely revolutionizing the Malaysian Business Approach just by our background and the way we do things.

We are extremely Principled and Value driven, it does not matter who it involves. A wrong is a wrong and will be feedback upon. A Right is a Right and will also be feedback upon. Good behaviours are praised, the bad raised and learnt from. We do this regardless whether the individual is the CEO, the manager or the penyapu lantai, which is the CEO occasionally, rank is of little relevance here. All are equal. The CEO cleans the toilet so does everyone else. This in itself is another revolution in Malaysia if not the world.

Ask anyone in ATCEN and they will say we live here. That is just the practice in this organization. We are here not just to make a difference for our clients or ATCEN, the organization but for ourselves. We want to develop, build our character and be entrepreneurs. This is who we, ATCENians, moving towards our Aspiration and proud of it.

To the team it is now 8.15pm and the English Class has just ended and we are all happy with what we have learnt.

As for me I am just proud that words for a certain vision written 4 ½ years ago is now a reality. To ATCENians, you made this possible.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

JL,

this is truly written from the heart and the sincerity of this entry moved me.

I've continually outgrew myself especially lately and thanks to constant opportunity given by ATCEN to improved myself.

I am glad that i am part of this journey as it taught me how to be more appreciative over things and do not let it go once you have it.

Anonymous said...

JL, I found you are different lately. I couldn't express what is that, but your HEART is felt. I know you will move forward and become better and better. I'm proud of you as my mentor too. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

JL,

This is a good piece. Hope this bring out from you in a daily basis (verbally).

Apprecition to one another is very important to keep everyone moving in a team. Truely base on my experience and observation.

I am not the pioneer team but i've seen part of the ATCEN's journey. Is not easy and determination is just so important.

Kudos to the 4 directors and the founder. You guys have a great partnership i must say.

You guys are champions to keep the ship moving :)

Anonymous said...

A very great blog. Deep and meaningful. And very true indeed.

Anonymous said...

really touch my heart. i can feel the sincerity. congratulations to the CEO, all the directors and ATCENians :)

Ms Yati said...

JL,

Reading it, I know this is from the heart. I may not sailing in the ATCEN ship since it sets it’s sail, but the challenges and experience gain since I join is priceless.

Thanks JL for the guidance from the beginning.

Anonymous said...

JL,

Although I’ve only been here a short while, I feel like it has been ages. It feels like I started the journey from the very beginning. Reading the blog write up has inspired me with the passion to continue to strive together with the TEAM.

To the rest of AIG Team, I am proud to be an ATCENian and it has been great working with all of you!

Anonymous said...

This is throughly from the heart of a great ATCENian. Good write up JL. I still remember the day when I came for the interview; shivering, panic, scared.. all the emotions was going through me.
1 year 4 months, thats how long I've been an ATCENian. I'm proud that I am part of this great family sailing together to continue our journey till it reaches its destination.
Bravo to the Founders, the Management team for the great leadership & to the rest of the team for making things happen!!

Anonymous said...

Be Sincere in what we do, do with our heart. unlearn, relearn and willing to learn. things sure happen!

Anonymous said...

nice 1 JL...most of the time we dont see what we can see when we truely open our eyes

Anonymous said...

In ATCEN, we are continously and consistenly learning. There are non-stop training scheduled for all ATCENians. This is to ensure we are developed and grow continuosly. And the best part, we do not need to pay any single cents for this training!. Thank you so much for all trainers. I really enjoy for all training sessions conducted. It increase my knowledge & enhance my understanstanding towards the subject taught.

Anonymous said...

Bravo to the 4 directors! Without all of your hard work, it would not has ATCEN and us. I feel proud to be part of ATCEN Team because we are making difference everyday to the people that we care. Every time when I followed Ken & JL for our Public Workshops, I was really impressed by their training. They are really did their best to deliver an extraordinary high quality training to ensure the participants are learning in a fun manners and growing. From the positive feedback from the participants, I know that we have made a difference in their life. And we will definitely continuously have great fun developing people and brands globally. That's our Mission.