Thursday, February 21, 2008

Death of the Malaysian Service Culture – by Ernie Chen

As a true blue Malaysian without a pinch of biasness, I can safely vouch that the local service quality is average at best. It is very rare these days to receive what we surmise as “excellent” service. Most of the time, the level barely exceeds the “mediocre” line.

One too many times before, I have seen myself being re-directed from one clerk to another just to end up back at Square One. My usual shopping routines are constantly disrupted by sour faces and monotonous voices that have brought me to conclude that there is simply NO HOPE for improving the service culture here in Malaysia.

The primary reason for a customer service officer or a telemarketer to attend patiently to their customers’ requests is because great service generates great returns. How do you expect to achieve your determined targets without even trying to appeal to potential customers? You are the bearer of the first impression; and if that first impression fails to appeal, it is time to step back and make a crucial review.

So how do we pinpoint the element that is lacking in the Malaysian service culture? Only an oblivious tourist may not be able to. Staring us point blank in the face is the unmoving fact that the local service sector does not care for owning the proper work attitude. It is about time for them to undergo some much needed training.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said!!! There is NO HOPE at all for Malaysia Service!!!

Anonymous said...

I truly feel that developing a service culture is a journey that involves every single individual and many different party or groups at very different stages. There is definitely so much more to just creating and sustaining a service culture.. YES on going trainings & exposure plays a major role. But, the simple fact is that, it should be part of our daily lives like when we even communicate at home! And in Malaysia frankly there are various hindrance that are contributing towards the death of this culture on the whole.

-Y.N.W.A

Anonymous said...

Yes, agreed with that. Most of the Malaysian are not aware with this issue and how important to improve the quality services for their customer in order to create the ultimate customer experience.

I was experienced once when I rushing to buy goods from the hypermarket nearby. I was so pissed off by the customer services at counter. I did informed them when I need the stuff and because it is quite urgent. They responded to me with no sense of urgency and do not fullfill their customer need.

Besides, they are talking to each other while handling with their customer. This is not a good practise. Their working attitude is same all the time, which is always "SLOW" and "STEADY". Definitely they gave me a very bad impression toward their services and also the image of their organization.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. It is always the quality of service for clients on a discount. Malaysian, we truly need to forego that type of servicing attitude.

Unknown said...

It's true. There were few times that I experienced the problem of lack of quality services. They even couldn't give a smile to the customer. I thing that the employees need a proper training and I always remind myself that I must not do what I don't like other people do to me.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am agreed with that. Even in University or college, there is no such course called "Customer Experience" or "Customer Care Management"...

Anonymous said...

i agree with that. Some people just too relax on alot of things. I would question if the services i receive is less than what i pay for... Spending good time with family and loves one can end up having bad experience with the services received and with faces made by the sales person or even the waitress.

Anonymous said...

Yes i totally agree! People in the service industry do not truly know what is the meaning of service.